A Word of Welcome...

On September 1, 2011 fifteen young people from a range of high schools around the U.S. arrived at Noi Ba International Airport in Ha Noi. Jet-lagged and overwhelmed, they spent the weekend getting oriented to their new home amid Independence Day revelry and celebration. Now one month later, they are members of host families, interns at various community organizations, students on a university campus and participant-observers in a foreign culture and society. Thus begins their year with School Year Abroad – Viet Nam.

This monthly blog will chronicle the students’ lives in Viet Nam outside the SYA classroom. A process of sharing and peer-editing in their English class will precede all posts thereby creating an individual and collective narrative. Travel-journalist Tom Miller said “The finest travel writing describes what's going on when nobody's looking.” May these young writers seek out and find their moments to see, with new eyes, what no one else sees. May they write their stories with sensitivity and passion. And may you, our readers, enjoy imagining their Viet Nam.

Becky Gordon
SYA English Teacher

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Andrew Sanborn- A taxi adventure


The day started out slow. My meeting wasn’t until noon so I was able to sleep in for the first time since I left. Then it was on to breakfast, and out to the taxi. It was raining slightly as we drove toward the Co Nhue district, around half a mile or so north of my school. I started out the same way I do with most of the cab rides here; said hello in Vietnamese, regretted it when they started speaking to me super fast, stared at them, said xin loi (I’m sorry) and shrugged. Before I left I checked the directions one last time. I was sure that I knew exactly where I was going; after all it was only a few hundred meters or so off the main road! I expected to see the field soon. What I didn’t count on was the driver not understanding a word of English. So we made the turn off the major street onto a smaller street that dove head first into the chaos of crowded streets and densely packed housing. I realized that I wasn’t going to be able to see the field from the street. I tried to tell the driver that I am looking for a “football” field, but he doesn’t understand that, so I try “SOCCER”. I pantomimed whistling, pointing, and throwing in, but he still didn’t know what I’m was saying. Sitting in my seat as the cab pushes deeper and deeper into the unknown, I asked myself, “Self, what the hell have you gotten yourself into this time? I am sitting here alone in the back of a cab going deeper into the ‘jungle,’ I mean city, oh wait it is jungle. Great. I am in a mix of rice paddies and forest, looking for some crappy soccer field that is most likely an empty lot filled with dirt and broken bottles.” I motioned for the driver to “turn around”. He understood that; well it’s a start. He asked a few people on the side of the road, but no one is helping. He called someone on his phone, handed it to me, and I attempted to communicate with two people in broken English. They finally got what I was saying, and I handed the phone to the driver. YES, he understood! “Ahh, football” he said to me. Yes, that is what I was telling you the entire time. As we continued on our quest, the driver pulled over a few times to ask for directions, and now we were getting some positive results. All of a sudden we come around a corner, and there it was, the Co Nhue Fields, in all its majesty! It was better then I ever could have imagined,; it was a synthetic turf field. The driver looked at me, we started to laugh with joy, we high-fived and I paid as we pulled up. I did the impossible -- broke the language barrier and arrived at my destination. Great Success!


No comments:

Post a Comment