A Word of Welcome...

On September 1, 2011 fifteen young people from a range of high schools around the U.S. arrived at Noi Ba International Airport in Ha Noi. Jet-lagged and overwhelmed, they spent the weekend getting oriented to their new home amid Independence Day revelry and celebration. Now one month later, they are members of host families, interns at various community organizations, students on a university campus and participant-observers in a foreign culture and society. Thus begins their year with School Year Abroad – Viet Nam.

This monthly blog will chronicle the students’ lives in Viet Nam outside the SYA classroom. A process of sharing and peer-editing in their English class will precede all posts thereby creating an individual and collective narrative. Travel-journalist Tom Miller said “The finest travel writing describes what's going on when nobody's looking.” May these young writers seek out and find their moments to see, with new eyes, what no one else sees. May they write their stories with sensitivity and passion. And may you, our readers, enjoy imagining their Viet Nam.

Becky Gordon
SYA English Teacher

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Closer to Something

Elliott Crofton

            Two weeks away from Ha Noi was a welcome vacation. I’m certainly not sick of being here at all, but a break away from a place often makes it much sweeter when you return. There are family, friends, and places elsewhere that I miss.
            Dhahran  never really changes, and my time there was very much like every break; lazy and relaxing with plenty of time to socialize. I think what I enjoyed the most may have been the quietness though. It was enjoyable being able to hear my footsteps when I was walking somewhere, and not just the blaring of motorcycle and car horns.
            That being said, returning to Ha Noi has been fantastic. It is different. The weather is different, school is different, and I feel like over the last couple of weeks my relationship with my host family has been different. All of this change is welcome though. More conversation and frigid weather is delightful.
            I have realized how extraordinary this place is. I have also realized that my decision to stay a year instead of a semester was a wise decision. Many of my friends have left, and I can’t help but think that in their place I would feel as though my experience were not complete. At this point I have merged with the city, and my life here. This is the best time to focus on smaller things, minor unnoticed details; overlooked relationships and the nuances of a complex foreign culture. Instead of just trying to get by in a foreign land I can strive for perfection in it.
            I am coming closer to something and I am not completely sure what it is. But I do think I will arrive where I want to be before my time in Vietnam is done, and I know if I did not stay I would not have been able to get there. In the previous semester the months ahead felt very predictable and planned. I think perhaps now there are dozens, if not more, paths open before me.

No comments:

Post a Comment