A Word of Welcome...

On September 1, 2011 fifteen young people from a range of high schools around the U.S. arrived at Noi Ba International Airport in Ha Noi. Jet-lagged and overwhelmed, they spent the weekend getting oriented to their new home amid Independence Day revelry and celebration. Now one month later, they are members of host families, interns at various community organizations, students on a university campus and participant-observers in a foreign culture and society. Thus begins their year with School Year Abroad – Viet Nam.

This monthly blog will chronicle the students’ lives in Viet Nam outside the SYA classroom. A process of sharing and peer-editing in their English class will precede all posts thereby creating an individual and collective narrative. Travel-journalist Tom Miller said “The finest travel writing describes what's going on when nobody's looking.” May these young writers seek out and find their moments to see, with new eyes, what no one else sees. May they write their stories with sensitivity and passion. And may you, our readers, enjoy imagining their Viet Nam.

Becky Gordon
SYA English Teacher

Saturday, December 10, 2011

The Journey

Andrew Sanborn


Where am I?
     I have been in Ha Noi for three months, but that wasn’t the beginning of my journey. It began when I found out about the program itself. Throughout that time, I have had many different feelings and emotions going through me regarding this journey. In February, I was curious about it, but never thought that it would ever happen. Then, in March, I still couldn’t picture myself possibly spending the better part of the year in Vietnam, I had definitely traveled a lot before, but this was completely off the charts! After I was accepted, I struggled with the choice of leaving or staying, it was  a very hard decision for me, but looing back now, I am very happy with it.
     But to answer the original question, where am I now? I have grown a lot by being here have become more independent here, because I have to, and I think that will really help when I get home. If I ever run into something that seems difficult at home, I can always ask myself “So you can hail taxis in Vietnam and speak Vietnamese to the drivers, but you can’t do this?”Also I am learning a lot about myself, and how at first I thought I couldn’t possibly leave home for this long, but it turns out I can.
     So I find myself here, 1/3 of my time in Vietnam completed. I have changed (hopefully for the better) so far, and know, that for better or for worse, I will continue to grow and change during the remaining six months I have here in Vietnam. As I said before, looking back now at my whole journey, I honestly can’t imagine not being here. I am happy that I made the right choice back in February, and I know that from that time to now I have grown a lot as a person and have really expanded my horizons by coming here.

No comments:

Post a Comment