A Word of Welcome...

On September 1, 2011 fifteen young people from a range of high schools around the U.S. arrived at Noi Ba International Airport in Ha Noi. Jet-lagged and overwhelmed, they spent the weekend getting oriented to their new home amid Independence Day revelry and celebration. Now one month later, they are members of host families, interns at various community organizations, students on a university campus and participant-observers in a foreign culture and society. Thus begins their year with School Year Abroad – Viet Nam.

This monthly blog will chronicle the students’ lives in Viet Nam outside the SYA classroom. A process of sharing and peer-editing in their English class will precede all posts thereby creating an individual and collective narrative. Travel-journalist Tom Miller said “The finest travel writing describes what's going on when nobody's looking.” May these young writers seek out and find their moments to see, with new eyes, what no one else sees. May they write their stories with sensitivity and passion. And may you, our readers, enjoy imagining their Viet Nam.

Becky Gordon
SYA English Teacher

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Just Bloggin’ #3 Donde estoy ahora? Tôi đang ở đâu?

Luke Williams

Thirteen years ago I never understood what any of these sentences meant, yet they both ask the same question; where am I? Literally I am living in the Cầu Giấy District of Hà Nội, Việt Nam. I am at the point where I am growing into an adult.  Part of that growth has been the pivotal moment of getting on a bike for the first time.
When I decided to spend senior year enrolled in School Year Abroad-Vietnam, I planned on challenging myself academically and culturally. In my first weeks in Hanoi, my sole mode of  transportation was taxi.  However, viewing life from behind a window removed me from the flow of this vibrant city.  My experiences revolved at the end-points of my cab ride; school and host-family.  I envied my peers and their stories of people they met or foods they tasted while riding around on their SYA-subsidized bikes.
Right now I am a six-foot senior unsuccessfully trying to execute turns and attracting the added ridicule from both passersby and peers.  My greatest challenge wasn’t just the coordination of riding but the self-conscious vulnerability I felt. These roadblocks ended up creating a physical and mental battle with the bicycle, but one that was overcome with scrapes and laughs. I now have access to the exciting streets and alleys of Hanoi.  This is where I am now. That “monster” is now my best friend and I am now one with the city, flowing and bending with the heavy traffic.

No comments:

Post a Comment