A Word of Welcome...

On September 1, 2011 fifteen young people from a range of high schools around the U.S. arrived at Noi Ba International Airport in Ha Noi. Jet-lagged and overwhelmed, they spent the weekend getting oriented to their new home amid Independence Day revelry and celebration. Now one month later, they are members of host families, interns at various community organizations, students on a university campus and participant-observers in a foreign culture and society. Thus begins their year with School Year Abroad – Viet Nam.

This monthly blog will chronicle the students’ lives in Viet Nam outside the SYA classroom. A process of sharing and peer-editing in their English class will precede all posts thereby creating an individual and collective narrative. Travel-journalist Tom Miller said “The finest travel writing describes what's going on when nobody's looking.” May these young writers seek out and find their moments to see, with new eyes, what no one else sees. May they write their stories with sensitivity and passion. And may you, our readers, enjoy imagining their Viet Nam.

Becky Gordon
SYA English Teacher

Monday, March 5, 2012

Vampire Weekend

Elliot Crofton

             I have reached the point in the year that one might call the doldrums. I have settled into my routine, and new and extraordinary experiences come less and less. This is to be expected, as everything good must come to an end. However I have found that maybe nothing really ends, but just continues in new forms.
            I started this Sunday very early. It was especially difficult because I had gotten very little sleep the night before. I started the day early to play tennis with my father and a friend of his. The match was horrific. I usually am fairly good at picking up a sport that I’m somewhat inept at. This is not the case with me and tennis. I lost four tennis balls, and spent most of the time I was playing mumbling expletives under my breath.
            We finished at 8 and I decided to go for my usual walk at the nearby lake. Near the entrance an older lady grabbed me and started saying something to me. This kind of thing happens sometimes, and I had my headphones in, so I smiled at her and kept on walking through the gate. As I paid the entrance fee, she waited for me. I walked up to her and she snatched the iPod out of my hoodie pocket and held it up to her ear, expecting to hear something. I laughed and put my other headphone in her ear. She loved this.
            We talked for a little bit. I expected her to listen for just a moment and then take the earphone out, but she didn’t. After walking for a couple minutes she informed me that we would be doing 4 laps around the lake together (about 3 miles). At first I could not contain my laughter. The idea of this old woman listening to my music (Vampire Weekend, The Strokes, Lady Gaga) with me was simply ridiculous. After a few minutes the whole idea became less silly and more fascinating. She became more interested in the music than in me, and I realized she was thoroughly enjoying it. It occurred to me that this old woman probably remembered when my country was bombing hers. But still she had no problem sharing an earbud with an American and listening to American music. Perhaps it doesn’t seem so profound, but the idea of it really struck me.
            After our 4 laps she said she was going home and we parted ways. I do hope I see her again, even though it is a nuisance sharing headphones with someone while walking. To me she is living proof that forgiveness is an unstoppable force, and that time and Vampire Weekend conquer all political differences.

No comments:

Post a Comment