A Word of Welcome...

On September 1, 2011 fifteen young people from a range of high schools around the U.S. arrived at Noi Ba International Airport in Ha Noi. Jet-lagged and overwhelmed, they spent the weekend getting oriented to their new home amid Independence Day revelry and celebration. Now one month later, they are members of host families, interns at various community organizations, students on a university campus and participant-observers in a foreign culture and society. Thus begins their year with School Year Abroad – Viet Nam.

This monthly blog will chronicle the students’ lives in Viet Nam outside the SYA classroom. A process of sharing and peer-editing in their English class will precede all posts thereby creating an individual and collective narrative. Travel-journalist Tom Miller said “The finest travel writing describes what's going on when nobody's looking.” May these young writers seek out and find their moments to see, with new eyes, what no one else sees. May they write their stories with sensitivity and passion. And may you, our readers, enjoy imagining their Viet Nam.

Becky Gordon
SYA English Teacher

Saturday, March 3, 2012

"When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile.” Plato

Perrine Anderson

Sometimes when you travel there comes a moment of realization. The first thing I’ve realized is what I missed, what I refused to do that would’ve been worth it, but also what I do. Sometimes, it’s hard to deal with what comes across your way, but that’s part of life; you lose friends, and make new ones. Since I arrived here, I’ve been wondering if there was a real purpose for me being here, or if it was just another of those moments of questioning, of "fluttering”. I had my loads of previous disappointments and frustrations helping me to understand that if I wanted to make something good of my year here, I had to decide to change things around me, not wait for someone else to do it nor for another of my friends to fade away. I am absolutely convinced that we live the life that we create for ourselves; therefore we are the only ones able to achieve what we want.

Another thing I understood appeared to me during some long sleepless nights, when I came to wondering what I should do with my days, to try to make the best of my time left here. And that’s when it hit me, the time we have passes by so quickly that we don’t realize how much we can lose. Here we are, awaiting the day we’ll look at each other, hands in hands, heads full of vibrant memories, eyes full of tears, saying goodbye, maybe, or shall I say certainly, forever. And that can be hard to think about, but it’s life, and it won’t be the last time we’ll part ways with our friends. So either we cope with it, or we don’t, but both ways have their cota of pain and disappointments, discovery and understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment