A Word of Welcome...

On September 1, 2011 fifteen young people from a range of high schools around the U.S. arrived at Noi Ba International Airport in Ha Noi. Jet-lagged and overwhelmed, they spent the weekend getting oriented to their new home amid Independence Day revelry and celebration. Now one month later, they are members of host families, interns at various community organizations, students on a university campus and participant-observers in a foreign culture and society. Thus begins their year with School Year Abroad – Viet Nam.

This monthly blog will chronicle the students’ lives in Viet Nam outside the SYA classroom. A process of sharing and peer-editing in their English class will precede all posts thereby creating an individual and collective narrative. Travel-journalist Tom Miller said “The finest travel writing describes what's going on when nobody's looking.” May these young writers seek out and find their moments to see, with new eyes, what no one else sees. May they write their stories with sensitivity and passion. And may you, our readers, enjoy imagining their Viet Nam.

Becky Gordon
SYA English Teacher

Friday, September 30, 2011

My first impressions

The day I arrived in Vietnam, I thought it was a bad dream, I couldn’t believe what was in front of me.
You know, even before I came out of the airport, I could feel the heat on my face, and the smell of dust in my nose. And once I got through the exit doors, I realized that I wasn’t in France anymore, and that I was about to live in this country for a whole year.

At first, it sounded extremely exciting, and I really enjoyed the fact that I would live abroad for quite a while, even if I knew how it felt to be alone in a foreign country. I have been far from my family and friends before. I was happy, and proud of representing my country here. Here, in this country my ancestors invaded and destroyed hundred years ago, I could find a kind of mea culpa for the past, for what we did.
Indeed, when I found out that I was in the program and told my friends about it, the first thing they all asked me was: “with the wars and everything, they might hate the strangers from France and the US, and you could be killed!” It made me laugh because I knew that none of this was true. In fact, the Vietnamese are probably one of the most welcoming and warmhearted people I’ve ever met.  They care for everyone around them, they are nice, and they like interacting with strangers. Of all the people I’ve met since I’ve arrived in Hanoi, not even one has been rude or impolite to me.

It has been three weeks now that I’ve lived in Hanoi, and I love it. I know I will have some moments when I will miss my country, my friends, my brother, but it’ll be fine, because I’m not alone here, and I’m happy to be part of it.
Perrine Aronson


No comments:

Post a Comment